By Janice Boddy,Michael Lambek
- Presents a set of unique, ethnographically-informed essays exploring the big variety of ideals, practices, and spiritual stories within the modern world
- Explores a huge variety of issues together with the ‘perspectivism’ debate, the increase of non secular nationalism, reflections on faith and new media, faith and politics, and concepts of self and gender on the subject of spiritual belief
- Includes examples drawn from various non secular traditions and from numerous areas of the world
- Features newly-commissioned articles reflecting the main up to date learn and significant considering within the box, written by means of a world crew of best scholars
- Adds immeasurably to our knowing of the complicated relationships among faith, tradition, society, and the person in today’s world
Read or Download A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Similar religious studies books
This choice of essays outlines a new political financial system. two decades after the loss of life of Soviet communism, the global recession into which free-market capitalism has plunged the world economy provides a distinct chance to chart an alternative course. either the left-wing adulation of centralized statism and the right-wing fetishization of marketplace liberalism are a part of an earthly logic that is collapsing below the burden of its personal internal contradictions.
Oscar Romero: thoughts in Mosaic is a jointly painted portrait of El Salvador s such a lot cherished pastor, who took his position in heritage as a voice for the negative within the turbulent instances top as much as El Salvador s civil battle, and eventually provided the sacrifice of his lifestyles. Anecdotes accumulated in thousands of hours of interviews with peasants, associates, theologians and pastoral affiliates compose the colourful items of this biographical mosaic.
Lone superstar Muslims offers an interesting and insightful examine modern Muslim American lifestyles in Texas. It illuminates the dynamics of the Pakistani Muslim group in Houston, a urban with one of many biggest Muslim populations within the south and southwestern United States. Drawing on interviews and player statement at radio stations, gala's, and ethnic companies, the quantity explores daily Muslim lives on the intersection of race, classification, career, gender, sexuality, and non secular sectarian association to illustrate the complexity of the South Asian adventure.
“All of Christ’s philosophical rules will be compressed into one easy word – Love thy neighbor. It elucidates the innate human kindness within the least difficult demeanour. No creed, no establishment, no ebook can declare the unique ownership of this straightforward but impressive word of human excellence. It doesn't come from any e-book.
Additional info for A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
A Companion to the Anthropology of Religion (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) by Janice Boddy,Michael Lambek